Monday, March 9, 2009

Capitol Convergence 2009, where you can have it your way... but don't get crazy!

I said I would update during the conference this weekend, and again, I lied. I was busy! and only had internet access at the Capitol where I was shooting!

In case you missed it, I was shooting a WVU Center for Civic Engagement Conference known as Capitol Convergence 2009. My dear friend Brett White is the event coordinator there and he asked me to document the experience. Tim and I both decided to do this together and we both agreed that it was a great experience! We spent Friday-Sunday at the Marriott, the Capitol Rotunda and in the Charleston community documenting these students learning about service and civic engagement and also doing community service work. Plus, there was a Gala at the Governor's Mansion that we got to shoot, which was the closest thing to a reception I could have asked for. The lighting was dim, but the ceiling was wonderful sheer white fabric, which made my flash work flawlessly! I was so excited after a weekend of trying to get good shots in the dimly lit, tall ceiling Capitol Rotunda! But I LOVE a challenge..

The WVU folks were so pleased to have me, because they are using photos from 2001 on their marketing materials! This is one of those things I see all the time and hope that I can help organizations with, affordable and professional quality photographs of all the good they do.

It was exhausting and I slept like a baby last night when we finally got home (but not until after a engagement session with Dontay and Teresa! which is a whole other post) I was very glad we went and did this event, it was a total learning experience. I had enough time during the conference to put together a slide show of some of the highlights from the weekend and that caused a few of the students to be interested in buying the CD of images, so that's great! Now I have a ton of editing left to do and CDs to make and ship.. let the daunting task begin...

On top of all that, I got to hang out with Brett and Gary!!! from my former life as a Student Council camp counselor and I met several fine folks from WVU.. Everytime I see those boys, or anyone else from camp, it is like we pick up right where we left off. It doesn't matter that we haven't seen each other in like 4 years and that is my favorite kind of friend..

Here are a few shots from the conference, enjoy!


1 comment:

Mrs. McB said...

These look great!!!! You were so much fun and I love the title you picked for this post.

<3, Carissa